Bittersweet. That's my word to describe these last few days.
I spent two nights at home, but most of them time was spent packing up my room. It was a difficult couple of days for me. I always find it hard to go home, because I forget that life at home goes on without me. The dynamic at home is completely different now from when I was there. And I suppose that makes sense. The most difficult part about being home was accepting that it was my last stay in my childhood home. My parents sold our big farmhouse, and they are moving into a new house which will be finished this month. The new house looks absolutely beautiful, and it's much more reasonably sized for my parents and two younger sisters. But, of course, I'm a little attached to the farm and our hundred year old farmhouse that I've been in for twenty years.That house holds so many memories - Christmases, birthdays, sleepovers, just the day-to-day things. As I grew, that house changed - walls were painted, windows were added, decks were reconstructed. I will always smile thinking about the old French doors, the leaves my grandmother painted in the hallway, and the disgusting pink carpets my mother never bothered replacing in the upstairs bedrooms.
I will remember watering the saplings my father planted in the backyard that we were so mad about because it obstructed our sledding path. I will remember the spot the fence posts crossed were we buried Molly, our family dog. I will remember the big tree at the end of the driveway that for years marked the boundary for how far we could ride our bikes. I will remember knowing who came in the house based on the sound of their footsteps or even how much pressure they used to close the door. But with each chapter that ends, a new one begins.
After I said goodbye to my home, I came to Wolfville and moved into my apartment. It's been a busy two days for sure. I've had to run to get lots of little things. Unfortunately, the real estate company is supposed to send in their "professional cleaning team" to clean the apartment before I move in, but I feel like they either are the worst cleaners in the whole world or they don't exist. I cleaned this afternoon, and my cloth was black after doing two windows! The shower and sink were disgusting as well. I was not impressed. I used antibacterial wipes in the fridge and through the rest of the kitchen. Sergio wants me to formally complain, and I might. I took a shower after supper, and the drain doesn't work either...
Sergio is doing alright. He's limping now without a crutch, and his physiotherapist switched him to a cane. But she is very impressed with his progress. He's moved into Tully now, but his room is disastrous. He gets very tired unpacking and has to stop for breaks frequently. I told him he has to have everything organized by next week. He starts classes on Monday, and I start work on Monday (I think) so the timing is wonderful.
We had our first dinner together tonight. I put on my apron, all ready to help, and Sergio wouldn't let me help! He just loves to cook. It was too bad that I don't have any spices yet because he really wanted to play around with those. We had a chicken stirfry with rice. I thought it was delicious. He wasn't as satisfied. We'll try to get some spices tomorrow. I set up a make-shift dinner table for us until the table arrives on the weekend. It was pretty cute.
While I was home, I met up with my best friend from high school. We went out for some cheesecake at Jungle Jim's - not recommended. But we did have a good time together. It was nice to get to spend some time with her because our lives have led us down different paths, and we don't see each other very often anymore.
That's about it, I think. I'll be sure to post pictures of the apartment as soon as it's set up!




your pictures are beautiful!
ReplyDeletealso.. i had to edit the comment to say that one of those funky things they make you type out was "ispoop" and i laughed cause i knew you'd appreciate that.