Thursday, 6 September 2012

A Time for Everything

My, that was a big blog break. But, I always turn to writing to work through my mind, and, right now, my mind has a lot to work through.

Obviously since I last posted, I got Sergio back from Guatemala. That was a very exciting day! It was almost surreal to have him back. But I'm getting back into the normal swing of things now.

I finished up work the last week of August. That was terribly sad. The people I worked with blessed me in countless ways. They made me promise to come back and visit them. They even talked about pooling their money to pay my salary so they could keep me. They just melt my heart. I have a copy of their September calendar though, so I will go down one or two afternoons this month.

I had many good times with Lindsay once she was down in Wolfville. Our "friendship retreat" was a fun couple of days catching up with each other. You've gotta love the friends you can always jump right back to where you left off with.
Zeller's Date!

Zeller's Milkshakes
Virgin Strawberry Daiquiris

Tully T. Thursday
I had a lot of fun creeping on frosh week from the sidelines this year. It was very weird to not be participating, but you've got to move on at some point. I did get the chance to get to know the EC RAs and house council pretty well though. My heart will always belong to Tully though.
Tully Mock Olympics
Creeping on Rose Ceremony

The main reason I felt like blogging was because of the big blow I received earlier this week. It was one of those moments when I was waiting for someone to start laughing and say it was a big joke. But that didn't happen. Lynn Erskine, the worship pastor at my church and my piano teacher from high school, died suddenly on Sunday night. He had been running on a regular basis to train for his team "Run From Hunger" that would be running later in September. But on Sunday, he had a heart failure and died that night in the Truro hospital. At 31, he left behind his beautiful wife, Natasha, and their two daughters, Roya (4) and Alea (2).
Lynn, Natasha, Roya, and Alea

Roya and Alea
Here's a tidbit of his inspirational words:
"Please, with everything in you, chase after Jesus with everything in you. Don't give up because you're tired. Don't give up because you hear the enemy of your soul roaring. Jesus is so powerful, loving, caring, challenging, and perfect. He's transparent and humble. He's welcoming and personal. He's great and mighty. He's more than all these things, and you know you want to know Him. Don't judge Him by me or by any other person who says they know Him. Get to know Him very well and go from there."

For all of those who never had the blessing of meeting Lynn, it might be difficult to understand his legacy, but anyone who did know him was greatly blessed because of it. He was passionate about Jesus and adored his family the way a man should. He was incredibly musically gifted.

He's the reason I fell in love with music again in high school. He understood why I was playing and Who I was playing for. He encouraged me in that. I'll never forget the first time I played the piano during offering at church. Lynn introduced me to the church and told them, as I had confided in him in a previous lesson, that before I played for people, I would pray that God would use my music to work in people's hearts and that He would be truly glorified through me.

Lynn believed in my musical talents. He took me under his wing and taught me not based on any sort of lesson plan, just out of what he felt God wanted me to try. He taught me the most beautiful pieces. He never discouraged me when I asked for some lessons from my Taylor Swift book, and he teased me about that right up to the last time I talked to him.

One piece we always talked about learning was "Waterfall" by one of our favourite composers, Jon Schmidt. Lynn's not here anymore to help me work through it, but I know he left me with enough knowledge and confidence to learn it myself. Now, more than ever, I'm inspired to crack down and learn.




He and Natasha partnered with me as prayer support when I went to Bolivia during high school. They supported me as I graduated high school and left for Acadia (Lynn had been an Acadia graduate). Lynn told me names of music professors to look up for more lessons when I got here, something I never bothered to take him up on.

The way he so obviously cherished his wife and girls made it clear to me how I wanted to be cherished by my husband. He was an amazing example.

A Love to Strive For
My heart breaks for Natasha, his girls, and the rest of his family during this time. Living off his income poses issues for his wife. Being the generous soul she is, she never thought to bring money into her own pocket during this time, but it was decided by his family, that the best way to honour his memory is to support his loved ones. A fund has been set up. The goal is to raise $60,000 for Natasha, Roya, and Alea. Keep the family in your prayers, and, if God lays it on your heart, make a donation.

The great comfort we have is knowing that Lynn is now with his Saviour singing his heart out to the Lord. Every time I picture him up there, I think of him and King David hanging out with Jesus playing on the David's harp singing glorious songs to the Lord. I rest knowing he's happy and complete.

Even when we don't have the answers, we can rely on the One who does.




No comments:

Post a Comment