Looking back over the last 20 years of my life (actually, let's just go with my 12 years of my Christian life), I've gone through a lot of rough patches. As a child, my most quoted verse was definitely Hebrews 13:5, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." Fear has always been a big one for me.
There's been a lot of times, especially in high school, that I felt I had absolutely no where to turn to for comfort - except to Jesus. It wasn't until I was in university that I formed close relationships with people who didn't consider Jesus their primary source of comfort. The differences in comforting someone who believes in Jesus and someone who doesn't are immense. I still cannot comprehend how people get through rough patches without Jesus by their side. However, as a Christian, I know that every depth of despair is God challenging my faith and calling me to reach out to Him.
Throughout my walk with Jesus, I've learned so many verses of Scripture, but I often have trouble recalling them when I need them the most.
During heartaches, I often grab my Bible and locate the verses of comfort and strength - the ones that remind me of the greater plan God has for me.
Here's some good comfort, God-knows-the-plan verses:
Psalm 34:18
The LORD is near to the broken hearted and saves the crushed in spirit.
Psalm 73:26
My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
II Corinthians 5:7
For we walk by faith, not by sight.
John 14:27
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.
I Peter 5:7
Cast all your cares on the Lord, for He cares for you.
Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall make straight your paths.
Matthew 11:28
Come to me, all who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Jeremiah 17:7
Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose trust is in the Lord.
Psalm 18:2
The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
John 16:33
I have said these things to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.
I know that I am, without a doubt, no where near finished growing as a Christian. I'll be growing in Christ for the rest of my life, but it's encouraging to know that I do rely on Jesus for comfort. He's my Rock.
This past little while I've found my faith being challenged - not through rough circumstances though, just through the discussions I've been having with other Christians. For some reason, this last week has been filled with discussions of the importance of sharing faith with non believers, prayer, and relying on God's perfect plan. Maybe I'm missing some sort of giant hint, but I think we're in for something good.
Thanks for sharing this Kristi <3
ReplyDelete