Monday night, Sergio and I met up with my supervisor and her
two children who are university age for Scotskins at Joe’s. We’re discussing
the possibility of teaming up to start a new young adult’s group in Port
Williams. We all agree that the one at Acadia is too hard to integrate into and
doesn’t do a very good job at ministering to those who don’t know Jesus. So
instead of just complaining about it, we’re going to do something about it.
Everything is still in the works, but Sergio and I have been praying about it a
lot and are trusting God will work things out just the way He wants them.
From Tuesday until Thursday, I was getting up before the
sun, so that I could put in my office hours early and go home early to spend my
last couple days with Sergio. I was exhausted. Sergio spent those days packing
everything – everything! He has to be
out of Tully the day he comes back, so he had to move everything to Eaton’s
storage room before he left and what he couldn’t store there, he had to move up
to my apartment. It was just a tiring week. We went for a couple walks through
Wolfville and managed to get out to Boston Pizza for desserts one night. I
think I cried at some point every day that week. Even though I didn’t want it
to, Thursday night came.
![]() |
| Boston Pizza desserts |
We left Wolfville Thursday night, and Sergio took me out to
dinner at Swiss Chalet in Bedford. I splurged and got dessert….
After dinner, we drove out to Kelsey and Zach’s. Zach and
Sergio went out to walk the dog, Ricki, which allowed Kelsey and me to have a
nice sister chat. I miss my sisters so much. It breaks my heart to think we’ll
never get to be back in that farmhouse where we grew up all together.
Sergio and I headed to bed pretty early since we had to get
up at five to head to the airport. Friday morning was easily my least favourite
time period of the summer. We left the Withrow’s at 5:30 and had a sleepy
breakfast at Tim’s. Then we drove to the airport. Gosh, it was hard. I tried to
be as strong as I could be because I knew it wasn’t easy for him either.
Needless to say, it was a tearful goodbye.
When I got off work on Friday afternoon, I popped over to
Berwick Camp and visited with Grammy Jones, Aunt Suzanne, and her three kids.
Berwick used to be so special to me, but now that all my friends are gone, it’s
just a campground filled with memories. I can’t wait to have kids of my own to
take them there, but, until then, it’s pretty dull. I did enjoy chatting with
my grandma. I walked around camp with Lindsey for awhile and got to have a much
needed nap. That evening, Lindsey and Jake were in the annual camp talent show!
Lauren was supposed to be in it too, but she was sick with strep throat all
week. Grammy and I went to watch the show. Jake got on the stage to do his
break dancing routine, the music started, and he ran off. :) Oh, well. At least
he’s cute. But Lindsey got on the stage and did two of her Irish dance
routines. She looked adorable. She’s heading out to a competition in Niagara
Falls this week.
![]() |
| Jake discovers Instagram |
![]() |
| Jake before he ran off stage |
![]() |
| Saturday morning was pirate themed |
![]() |
| Lindsey's Irish dance hair piece |
![]() |
| Lindsey and I playing hairdresser |
I made to my parents’ house in time for lunch on Saturday. I
basically spent that day laying low. I was exhausted and emotionally drained. I
was also working on Room, a book
Patty-Sue had told me to read. It was very different from what I usually read,
but interesting – a pretty quick read.
Saturday night, I drove out to Ryan Blaauwendraat’s farm and
met up with a group of my friends from high school. It was me, Adrianna, Lydia,
Ryan, Jeremy, and Matthew. We went swimming in the pool there and sat around a
campfire for a few hours reminiscing about the good old days at CCA and
catching up on each other’s lives now. I don’t know what it is about those
friends, but every time I’m with them, I feel very loved and accepted. We all
understand each other’s backgrounds and have the same basis of what’s important
to us and, generally, the same goal for our lives. They are just very easy to be
around. It makes me so sad that I don’t get to spend more time with them –
especially with everyone spreading across North America at the end of this
month. But I know that no matter where life takes us, those guys will always be
my friends.
I didn’t get to bed until super late that night, because
Sergio asked if he could talk to me when I got home. Three hour time difference
means when it’s a late night for me, it’s a normal night for him. But I miss
him dearly, so I don’t mind losing a bit of sleep.
On Sunday morning, my butthead sister Courtney didn’t wake
Abby and I up for church so we missed church. But Courtney went. After lunch,
Mom took Grandma McInnes, Abby, and I out to Grandpa’s house in Pictou to swim
in his pool. We used to be out there all the time in the summer when I was
little, but I couldn’t tell you the last time I had been out there to the pool.
Abby and I had our own Olympics. But she’s a much better diver than me because
she was on the swim team, and I kept losing my bottoms. We had a lot of fun
though.
![]() |
| Abby |
Mom and I headed over to Aunt Lynn and Uncle Jimmy’s house
because they are Grandpa’s neighbours and we wanted to see their yard
improvements. Their daughter (my cousin) Jessica is getting married in
September, and she’s having a backyard wedding so they had lots of renovations
to do. It looks great though! I’m really excited for her wedding.
Speaking of her wedding…
She left the invitation on her front door because no one was
home. We didn’t see the invitation until my dad found it in the woods near our
house. We figure Ralph saw his name wasn’t on the envelope, and he got mad.
There was a bite mark right off the top!
![]() |
| Scotsburn <3 |
![]() |
| Loading up the cart |
![]() |
| Mom |
![]() |
| View from the fifth tee |
![]() |
| Home Theatre |
![]() |
| Quilting |
Mom and Dad took Abby and me out for dinner at Jack Astor’s.
Courtney is working at camp for the week so she wasn’t with us. Funny how much
more you appreciate your parents when you don’t get to be with them anymore.
![]() |
| Jack Astor's |
I hit the road early this morning and worked at the office
in Kentville.
And now here I am – my first night alone in Wolfville. So
far, not enjoying it too much. I’m making my dinner of chicken fingers. I only
have three nights until I go home again though. And thankfully, Sergio and I
both have iMessage so we can talk throughout the day. I’ve got an exciting
weekend coming up though, and I’m just going to focus on that because it’s a
lot closer than when he comes back.
Eighteen more days!
















I think this was my favourite of your blog posts ever. You are so strong kristi! Goodbyes are tough :( I'm glad your reading room. It is definitely different but I really liked it. It sounds like your having some great family time too though.
ReplyDeleteOh PS: did you hear Carrie Underwoods song - Blown away. It made me think of you.