Thursday, 26 July 2012

Traveling Opera

So far this week has been fairly uneventful. I’m mainly posting early because yesterday was a very special day at work.
We had a special guest in to Adult Day Program named Sergio! He came in with me and did a presentation for my clients about Guatemala. They loved him. The men were thrilled to have him there because only women work there. One man sang in a quartet for thirty some years so he talked Sergio’s ear off about that. This same man always hits on me and tries to hug me or hold my hand, so he was giving Sergio a hard time about that. I think Sergio got a kick out of him.
Sergio stayed with me at work for the rest of the morning. He did exercises with us and played Uno with me and two clients. I’m glad he can know appreciate why they make me so happy. They are so sweet and funny. They melt your hearts. I don’t know what got in to the yesterday, but I was laughing so hard I was crying.
After lunch (leftovers from supper), Sergio and I got my keyboard set up because we were the afternoon entertainment! We’d only got to practice a couple times before we performed, so I’d say we did pretty well. We opened with “Shout to the Lord” which I played on piano, and Sergio played guitar and sang. It was cool because he sang it through in English then we went through it again in Spanish. Then he played and song “Frozen”, a song he wrote. Then we did “Above All” with me on piano again. Then I had my piano solo – “Only Hope” from A Walk to Remember. Gosh, it’d been a long time since I performed that one. From there, Sergio sang “Nel Cor piu nom mi sento”, one of his Italian opera pieces. I’ve never heard him sing a whole opera piece through, but it was absolutely beautiful. If you can ever convince him to sing it for you, you’re in for a treat. The coordinator of the program was so blown away and asked him for another powerful piece like that. He sang “Stars” from Les Miserables. I teared up during that piece. Gosh, it was phenomenal. Usually about half the client sleep through afternoon entertainment, but they were all wide awake and on the edge of their seats for that. I wish I had thought to record some. After that, we did a duet with “Someone Like You”. I played it while he sang, but even I sang along with him while I played. He then sang a song in Spanish that one of his friends wrote. We ended with “Amazing Grace” because I was sure they would all know that one. The clients loved the whole afternoon. Most of them told him how wonderful of a singer he was before they left. It was just such a different experience for all of us. Now the coordinator is looking into booking us into her Adult Day Program in Wolfville as regular performers. We’re definitely open to that idea. We both had a lot of fun performing together.
Last night, Sergio and I went to Joe’s for nachos and went for a walk along the water. I’m definitely going to miss summer nights in Wolfville.
God has placed a very unique opportunity in my path this last week. I’m not going to explain it yet because I don’t really know what it entails. Sergio and I both have to pray a lot about this and make sure it’s what God wants us to be doing. But pray for us that we will be able to discern what God’s will is. As Sergio said, His will is my will.
And I honestly have no pictures.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment