Wednesday, 11 April 2012

Sometimes, You Just Know, Right?

One thing you might not know about me is that I love to document my life. I started writing in diaries when I was 12 and kept going with them every day until I started university. You just run out of time to write for pleasure in university.
And that's a shame. Because university is full of life changes. I call mine Sergio.
I actually didn't meet Sergio until the beginning of my second year in university. We met one night at the campus bar. My friend Lindsay introduced us. He asked me to dance. I said no. We never spoke again.
Well, not never.
Have you ever felt that push inside you to do something completely irrational and so out of character? On November 15, I did. Something pushed me to send Sergio, who I had only met once briefly months ago, a message. We just talked about school and his home country (Guatemala). To this day, I still can't believe I did that so randomly. He claims it was enticing.
Just five days later, he asked me out on our first date. He picked me up at my residence, and we walked downtown together at night. He bought us hot chocolates then we sat on the rocks overlooking the Bay of Fundy. My biggest fear about this date was that I wouldn't be able to understand what he was saying because of his accent, but his English was exquisite! When we were finished our drinks, we went for a long walk around Wolfville, just talking more about high school and our friends and families. I remember being so nervous. I could barely look him in the eyes.
A week later, he asked me to be his date to the formal. This was a big step for us. Skipping details, this was the night of our first kiss.
After that, the dates kept coming. We watched movies together, ate meals together, went to the bar together, and he even took me to a concert the music school was putting on. I was on cloud nine.
I was very cautious when we first started dating because I'd been hurt by guys I liked before. I never really expressed that I liked him, and I tried to play it very cool. He says he knew right from the start.
Finally, on December 3rd, after dating unofficially for a whole two weeks, he asked me to be his girlfriend. I was a little surprised at how early the offer came, but I knew it was inevitable. We were a perfect match. After a little hesitation just to keep him guessing, I eagerly agreed. Sometimes, you just know, right?
We're working on our fifth month now and have had so many defining moments. We laugh. We cry. We argue. We forgive. We grow. We plan for a future together.
He's my love. He's my best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment