I worked my last shift at Pete's on Sunday. Luckily I was doing the closing shift with Chloe so we rocked out to some Backstreet Boys and splurged on Cows chocolate covered potato chips that we bought out of our tips. I made some really good friends working there, but most of them go to Acadia so I'm sure I'll see them around lots.I started work bright and early Monday morning in Berwick. It took me exactly thirty minutes to get there, but I used had Jesus time so I won't ever consider that time wasted. Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays I am working at VON's Adult Day Program in Berwick. The best way I could describe it is daycare for seniors with dementia. I'll give you a quick run down of the day. I got there at eight and unloaded the dishwasher from the day before then reviewed the clients' profiles because I couldn't remember all their special needs. At nine, the clients arrive and settle into their comfy lazy boy chairs in a circle. We give them their coffee or tea - there is a list made up with who takes what in their drinks - and read them the morning news. Every day there is a new theme, so yesterday, for example, was recycling day. We read them some facts about recycling then had a quiz and did word scrambles relevant to the topic. Some of them are faster than me with the word scrambles!
After the themed events, we have exercises. Yesterday was exercises with shakers so I handed them each out a shaker. We put on music, and they were lead in exercises while they sat in their lazy boy chairs. Some of them just melt my heart. They are just so cute.
After exercises, we break into groups for games. Since we had three employees and two volunteers there, we were able to break into smaller groups and give the clients more individual attention which benefits them a lot. I assisted two of the clients with a game of checkers. You could tell they were familiar with the game, but they would forget which pieces were theirs or which direction their pieces moved in. This job is the ultimate patience tester. But I just love it. I'm actually getting paid to show love to people all day.
After games, we serve them lunch. That's a process as well. Who takes salt and pepper? Who takes butter? Who needs their meat cut up? Who's vegetarian? Who's diabetic? The supervisors amaze me with their knowledge of each client, but I guess after a few weeks, I'll know too.
After lunch, there is an afternoon activity. Sometimes entertainment comes in, but yesterday we had a game of family feud. The clients are all picked up at three, and I stay until four to debrief with the other women what I noticed about each client and how we can help them better.
I wish I could tell you about each of the clients because their stories are just so touching. But VON has a very strict confidentiality policy.
![]() |
| Goodbye, Pete's Locker! |
Montessori is a teaching method that was developed by a Italian woman that teaches young children skills in a way that they can't fail, includes all the senses, and lets them teach themselves. In recent years, psychologists have tried applying this form of learning to seniors with dementia. A lot of the exercises will help them keep their fine motor skills and give them the independence to be able to feed and dress themselves.
![]() |
| Sergio showing off his cooking skills |
But I like the office. I feel really old having my own desk and computer and company email. I have a pile of paperwork and my cute little travel tea cup to keep me company. It's a nice change though. I like not being on my feet all day - running around doing whatever customers need me to do. I like that my work is working towards a goal that is going to better someone's life. I like waking up in the morning and knowing that today I will have a chance to truly help someone.
So, in short, yes, I love my new job. It doesn't hurt having every weekend off now! Sergio has this coming weekend off as well, so we've got an exciting weekend planned for ourselves. I won't give away any details on that one though. That's another blog post!


Kristi your job sounds amazing!! I am so happy that worked out for you! Its not nice that you have the office work too.
ReplyDeleteI would love to make some cans for you too! I have like tons of them! today alone, I took home 2. just let me know what colours you want and if you want a word or something.
blue for me!
Delete-Sergio
Thanks! I really love pastel colours. Anything in pastel blues or yellows or pinks or greens. Surprise me!
ReplyDeleteWords? Maybe something like HOPE or PRAY.
I'm so excited for these!!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete